Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A and potassium and is a good source of fiber and the antioxidant, beta-carotene. Kale is rich in vitamin K, antioxidants and fiber. Combine the pumpkin and kale for a power food mixture that tastes great with your favorite whole grain pasta.
Ingredients: PRINT RECIPE
8 oz. rigatoni pasta
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinched dried red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms (5-6 medium mushrooms)
½ bunch Lucinato kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
¼ cup dry white wine or low sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
½ (15 oz.) can pumpkin (no sugar or spices added)
1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1 cup marinara sauce
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup (1oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Bring a large pot of to boil. Add salt and pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside in a colander.
3. In the meantime, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and kale; cook 5-6 minutes or until slightly cooked down. Add wine and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper and turn off heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, kale mixture and cooked pasta. Stir until combined and season with salt and pepper
5. Coat an 8 X 8-inch glass pan with oil. Pour pasta-pumpkin mixture into pan. Spread evenly and top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25minutes, then remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm.
Makes 4 1-cup servings. PRINT RECIPE