This recipe works great for picnics and BBQ's -- they're tasty warm as an entree or cold as an appetizer. And with this easy marinade, there's no need for cocktail sauce.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
I also love this recipe for a quick weekday meal during the summer when the days are hot and you don't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven. Nutritionally, shrimp is a great choice because it is low in fat and calories, while providing a great source of protein.
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 2 Tablespoons olive oil
· ¼ cup tomato sauce
· 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
· 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
· Wooden skewers
· Lemon cut into quarters (optional)
1. Places wooden skewers in a 9 X 13 inch glass pan. Add 1-2 inches of water and soak skewers for 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine garlic, oil, tomato sauce and vinegar. Add oregano, basil, parsley, salt and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl and stir to evenly coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 2 hours. Stir periodically.
3. While heating grill, thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing near the tail and near the head. Discard marinade.
4. Lightly oil the grill grate and place shrimp skewers on the preheated grill. Cook 3 minutes, then turn and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until shrimp slightly firm.
5. If desired, squeeze a light amount of fresh lemon juice over shrimp and serve
Makes 4 servings.