This is a great summer time dish served as a vegetarian/vegan entrée or as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish. This dish provides so many valuable nutrients, including antioxidants, protein, soluble fiber and potassium, making it one of my favorite heart-healthy meals for lunch or dinner. I hope you enjoy it!
· 1 (19oz.) can low sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
· 1 (19 oz.) can low sodium artichoke bottoms, drained
· ¼ red onion, diced
· ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
· ½ cup English cucumbers, quartered and chopped
· 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
· 2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
· ½ teaspoon lemon zest
· 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or ½ teaspoon dried)
· 2 teaspoons Olive oil
· ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
· Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine oil and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine all other ingredients.
3. Add oil mixture to bean mixture. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Stir thoroughly and serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes, then serve.
Makes 6 ¾ -cup servings.